vegetarian 7 layer bean dipFrom rcragun 3 years ago
- 2 cups of refried beans, either from one 15-ounce can shopping list
- 2 strips of veggie bacon, cooked and minced (optional; can use olive oil instead) shopping list
- 1 teaspoon of chipotle powder, Tabasco chipotle sauce, or adobo sauce, more to taste (or plain chili powder to taste) shopping list
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin shopping list
- salt shopping list
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese shopping list
- 1/4 cup chopped green Anaheim chiles (canned) OR a Tbsp of chopped pickled jalapenos (more to taste) shopping list
- 1 avocado, peeled and chopped shopping list
- 1 hot house tomato, cut in half horizontally, seeds and juice gently squeezed out and discarded, chopped shopping list
- 1/3 cup of sour cream, or if you can get it Crema Mexicana (Mexican sour cream) shopping list
- 1/2 small can of sliced ripe black olives shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the refried beans in a medium sauté pan or cast iron skillet. Stir in enough water to get a creamy, easily dip-able consistency, about 1/4 of a cup. Add the bacon or olive oil, to help the consistency of the beans.
- Mix in the chipotle chili powder (or Tabasco, or adobo, or regular chili powder) and cumin to taste. Note that the avocados and the sour cream will cool down the spiciness of the beans considerably, so you can afford to be a bit more spicy than you might think. Stir in salt to taste, depending on how salted your refried beans are to begin with, and depending on how salty the tortilla chips are that you are serving with the dip.
- Once the beans are hot and bubbly, spread them over the bottom of a warmed serving dish. Immediately add the shredded cheese so that the heat from the beans helps melt the cheese. (The cheese doesn't need to be completely melted, but even if it is just a little, it will help the dip stay on the chip.)
- Layer on the chopped green chilies, chopped avocado, chopped tomato. Spoon on the sour cream (or crema Mexicana, crema fresca, or even cream fraiche). Top with sliced green onions and olives.
- Serve immediately with tortilla chips.
The Cookrcragun Tampa, FL
- Not added to any groups yet!