- 1 loaf rye bread
- 16 oz of sauerkraut, well drained
- 1/2 pound thin sliced corned beef
- 4 oz Thousand Island dressing
- 6 slices thinly sliced Swiss cheese
- 1/4 tsp caraway seed, more if you prefer
How to make it
- Heavily grease 9 inch baking dish with butter.
- Trim bread crusts
- toast enough bread to cover bottom of baking dish
- Place toast in baking dish
- Cover with drained sauerkraut
- Layer corned beef
- Spread thousand Island dressing
- Sprinkle caraway seeds
- Top with Swiss cheese
- Butter, one side only, enough bread to cover casserole
- Layer bread, butered side up
- Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours
- Remove from refrigerator and let sit out at least 30 minutes before baking at 350 forabout 35 minutes, or untilbread is lightly browned.
- Note: Top layer of bread is untoasted prior to baking.