Saucy Country-style Oven Ribs
- 4 lb boneless country-style pork ribs
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (2 cups)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup (12 oz)
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons drained bottled horseradish
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
How to make it
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Put ribs in a 6- to 8-quart pot and cover with water by two inches.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, skimming froth, 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook onion and garlic in oil in a 3- to 4-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.
- Drain pork in a colander and pat dry, then arrange in 1 layer using tongs in a 13- by 9-inch baking dish.
- Pour sauce over pork to coat evenly, then cover dish tightly with foil.
- Bake 1 hour, then remove foil and carefully turn pork over with tongs and cook, uncovered, until very tender, about 30 minutes.
- Skim fat from sauce if desired.