Hen And Chick[pea] Paella Soup
- 1 1/2 cups roasted red peppers (about 3 1/2)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, diced
- 1.5 oz chorizo
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 1/4 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 6 cups hot chicken stock, divided
- 1 tsp saffron threads, crushed
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup precooked, crumbled bacon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 10 oz cooked, diced chicken
- 1 cup frozen peas
How to make it
- In a food processor or blender, puree roasted red peppers and garlic, set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and chorizo and cook, stirring often, until onions are beginning to brown - about 8 minutes.
- Stir in both paprikas and rice, coating everything with the paprika mix.
- Pour in the wine and stir vigorously to deglaze, then add 4 of the cups of hot stock and the red pepper puree and stir well. [Photo22766]
- Combine the remaining two cups of chicken stock and the saffron in a small container, then add to above with the water, bacon and bay leaf. [Photo22765]
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer (partially covered) for 1 1/2 hours. Remove bay leaf.
- Stir in chickpeas, chicken and peas [Photo22764]. Cook 20 minutes longer.