French Onion Soup!
- Time 40 minutes
- Serves 5-6 people
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 large yellow onions, halved and cut pole to pole into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 3cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups beef broth
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme , tied with kitchen twine
- Ground black pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- for topping:
- enough croutons to cover the top of the soup
- 8 ounces shredded Gruyère cheese (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
How to make it
- in a heavy bottom sauce pan, add the butter and put on medium heat. When the butter is completely melted, add the cut onions. Remember to keep the flame medium to low.
- Now, brown the onions, stairing constantly, for about 15 minutes.
- when the onions are brown, add the salt, pepper, thyme and sherry. now cook the onions until the sherry evaporates, about 5 minutes.
- now add the broths, water and remove the thyme from the pot.
- let simmer on low heat for 10 minutes covered. Then remove from heat and just when your about to serve the soup, add the croutons in a single layer, then add the cheese and dried parsley.
- now put the soup under a broiler heated to 400 degrees F for 5 minutes until the cheese melts completely. serve hot.