Italian Beef Soup
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 28 ounces diced tomato
- 28 ounces beef broth
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 15 ounces kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fresh mushroom, sliced
How to make it
- Cook ground beef in a large Dutch Oven about 5 minutes or until brown. Drain and set aside.
- Remove excess oil but leave the pan bits in there.
- Heat olive oil in the same Dutch Oven over medium-high heat and add onion, celery, carrot and garlic. Saute about 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender; add pepper
- Stir in tomatoes, broth, basil, tomato paste and thyme. Simmer uncovered over medium-low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add kidney beans, mushrooms and beef. Simmer 10 more minutes.
- It doesn't get any doner than that. Serve it up with your favorite soup accessories. Crackers of choice, hard crusted bread, rolls, etc.