Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Time 30 - 45 minutes
- Serves 2 1/2 dozen
- * 3/4 cup rolled oats (I used steel cut oats)
- * 1 cup whole wheat flour
- * 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- * 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- * 1/2 teaspoon salt
- * 1/4 cup butter, softened
- * 1/4 cup vegetable oil or canola oil (I used applesauce! )
- * 1/3 cup white sugar
- * 1/3 cup brown sugar
- * 1 large egg
- * 1 teaspoon vanilla
- * 1 teaspoon maple extract (a must)
- * 1 cup chocolate chips
- * 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional) or walnuts (optional)
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease baking sheets.
- OPTIONAL STEP: Grind 3/4 cup rolled oats in a blender or food processor, then transfer to a medium bowl.
- Add in flour, cinnamon (if using) baking soda and salt; mix to combine.
- In a bowl beat butter until fluffy.
- Add in oil, both sugars, egg, vanilla and maple extract; beat until smooth an creamy.
- Add in dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Add in chocolate chips and nuts (if using).
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto greased baking sheet.
- Bake (one sheet at a time) until firm around the edges and golden on top (about 12-15 minutes).
- Cool cookies for 2 minutes on sheet then remove to wire rack to cool completely.