Asian - Inspired Rice Dressing
- 5 2/3 cups cold water, divided
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 cups short-grain brown rice
- 2 cups raw sushi rice
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium white onion, minced
- 10 shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, diced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1/3 cup minced cilantro
- 1 tsp tamari
How to make it
- In a large saucepan, combine 3 2/3 cups cold water, vinegar and brown sugar. Bring to a boil.
- Add brown rice, stir well and reduce heat. Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add remaining 2 cups water and the sushi rice. Re-cover and simmer a further 25 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and allow to stand, covered, for 10 minutes on the burner.
- Stir with a fork to fluff and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring, until translucent.
- Add mushrooms and cook until they are mostly wilted, then stir in garlic and ginger and cook 1 minute longer.
- Pour mixture into the bowl with the rice and add cilantro and tamari, mixing well.
- Use as a turkey stuffing or spoon into a casserole dish and bake, covered, for 1 hour at 350F.