Moroccan Sweet Potato Stew
- olive oil to saute
- 1 med yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- curry powder, allspice and ground cumin to taste( start with 1 tsp curry and cumin and 1/4 tsp allspice )
- 1 can diced tomatoes ( I used fresh tomatoes )
- 1 cup green beans cut into pieces
- 1 can broth ( vegetable or chicken broth for non vegetarians )
- 1 can garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and cut into even chunks
- 2 small zucchini cut into chunks ( I also used part yellow squash )
- 1 cup couscus prepared and set aside
- chopped mint or cilantro
How to make it
- Heat some olive oil in a skillet and add onion and cook till tender, add the spices and garlic and briefly cook and stir
- Add tomatoes,green beans, broth and sweet potatoes and heat till boiling.
- Reduce heat and cover and cook 10 mins or until vegetables tender.
- Add the squash and covered covered a few more minutes or until tender
- When ready to serve stir in fresh mint or cilantro into the vegetables. Serve over the couscous
- Note: all can sizes are 14 to 15 oz in the recipe
- I used a tricolor couscus
- Make sure sweet potatoes are cut into even size chunks for best even cooking.