Semolina Whey BreadFrom moxie2burn 1 year ago
How to make it
- Proof the yeast with the sugar in 1/2 cup of lukewarm whey.
- Once yeast is foamy, set the bread machine to the "dough only" setting and add this mixture and all remaining ingredients EXCEPT egg wash and sesame seeds. The machine will combine the ingredients, knead the dough and give it its first rise, then beep to indicate that the dough is ready to shape.
- Remove the dough from the machine and transfer it to a flour-dusted surface. Pat the dough into a rectangle, about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick, in which the narrow sides of the rectangle are parallel to the edge of your counter.
- Starting with the "top" of the rectangle, the edge that's furthest from you, fold one-third of the dough over. Now, fold the bottom third of the dough up over the other folded piece, as if you were folding a letter. Turn the piece of dough 90 degrees, then repeat the folds, folding the top third of the dough down over the middle. Fold the bottom third of the dough over the center. You should now have a thick, square-ish piece of dough.
- Turn the dough over so that the seam is on the bottom, and tuck the layered sides underneath so the entire exposed surface of dough is smooth. Place the dough in a pan that's been sprayed with olive oil cooking spray or coated with olive oil, and use your hands to flatten the dough a little towards the edges of the pan. The dough does not need to fill the entire bottom of the pan, because it will expand to fill the pan as it rises.
- Cover pan of dough with a dishtowel and allow to rise in a warm space. Dough should rise for 30-45 minutes or until it is doubled in size. A good indication that it has risen enough is if the dough has risen a little past the top of the pan.
- Brush the loaf with the egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake at 375 for 35-45 minutes. Bread will be done when its crust is firm and browned, and the underside of the loaf is also firm and makes a hollow sound when tapped.
- Remove the bread from the pan immediately and cool on a rack.
The Cookmoxie2burn Matanuska-Susitna Valley, Alaska
- Not added to any groups yet!