- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 TBS butter
- 2 TBS chopped yellow onion, green onion, or shallot
- 1/4 cup fideos pasta (or break up spaghettini into very short bits)
- 3/4 cup basmati rice
- 2 cups hot chicken (or beef, or mushroom) broth
- Fresh-ground black pepper and salt (go easy!) to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley (or 2 TBS dried)
How to make it
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, and melt butter in it. (Don't let the butter brown.)
- Add the pasta and rice and coat well with oil, stirring constantly.
- Continue to stir for another 2 minutes or so; then add onion.
- Stir constantly until pasta bits become quite brown, then add broth (stand back; this creates quite a bit of steam!).
- Bring to a boil again, add pepper (wait on the salt) and turn to low heat.
- Cover and cook 10 minutes or until rice has absorbed all the moisture.
- Add the parsley, taste and add salt only if needed (remember, this is a side dish so it shouldn't be too salty, especially if served with gravy), fluff with a fork and serve.