Roasted Tomato Garlic Paste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 18 cloves garlic, chopped roughly
- 1 sweet onion, chopped fine
- 3 lbs plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp citric acid or 1 tsp lemon juice
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 275F.
- In a deep, non-stick pan, heat the oil.
- Add the garlic and onions and cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Scrape into a food processor with the tomatoes and salt and puree smooth.
- Run through a food mill, discarding seeds and skins.
- Pour pulp into a baking dish (I used a 9" square).
- Place in the oven and bake 3 - 4 hours, or until very thick, dark and pasty. Stir every hour or so to prevent burning.
- Stir in the citric acid.
- Allow to cool before placing into a plastic or glass container and storing in the fridge or freezer.
- This will keep in the fridge about 1 week, frozen up to 6 months. If canning, process in a hot water bath for 45 minutes.