Long N Low Tomato Basil Sauce
- 3 lbs tomatoes
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 large carrot (about 3.5 oz), diced
- 1 sweet banana pepper, diced
- 1 red shepherd pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup red wine or vegetable stock
- 1 cup tomato paste (I used http://www.grouprecipes.com/134577/roasted-tomato-garlic-paste.html)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1/2 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp fennel seed
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
How to make it
- Combine the tomatoes and garlic in a pot and cook on low heat for 4 hours. (I did this step the day before and refrigerated it)
- Run the tomatoes through a food mill, discarding the seeds and skins.
- Puree the onion, celery, carrot, peppers and wine in a food processor or blender and add to the tomato puree in the pot.
- Bring to a simmer and stir in the tomato paste, salt and herbs.
- Reduce heat to low, partially cover and simmer for 6 hours.
- Stir in the lemon juice and can in a water bath 30 minutes.