Grandma Erma's Corn Chowder
- 1 large onion, chopped in medium pieces
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, smashed more or less to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups of cubed potatoes, 4 large or 12 smallish ones, skins on
- 2 large cans, 29 ounces, whole kernel corn
- 3 cans of extra water
- 1 pound bacon cut into 1/2 inch pieces, could have used more bacon
- 1 quart sour cream
- sea salt
- Italian seasoning
- Grated cheese to put on top, optional
How to make it
- In a large soup pot put the olive oil, onion, and bacon pieces.
- Allow to cook until the onions are translucent.
- Meanwhile cube the potatoes.
- When onion and bacon are ready add the corn, water and potatoes.
- Add Salt and seasoning to taste.
- Cook until potatoes are tender.
- Add quart of of sour cream.
- Reduce to a simmer.
- Eat when hungry.
- I used a quart of sour cream because I had a quart of heavy cooking cream in the back of the fridge. It had turned to sour cream and I was dogged if I was going to throw it out. It worked just great.