Smoked Pork Chops With Drunken Sauerkraut
- Time 20min prep, 60min co
- Serves 4
- 6 thick slices of apple wood smoked bacon, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 bay leaf, crushed
- 2 tart green apples, cored and diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed & roughly chopped
- 32 oz sauerkraut w/liquid
- 1 cup dry white wine or dry vermouth
- 1/2 cup stock or water
- 4 smoked pork chops (about 6 oz. each)
How to make it
- Heat a medium stock pot over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until crisp to your liking. Remove and transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
- Add cumin, caraway seeds, and crushed bay leaf to pot and stir well. Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add apples, onions, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes.
- Add sauerkraut, wine, and water. Bring to a boil. Submerge pork chops in mixture, cover, and reduce to a simmer. Cook for one hour.
- Garnish with cooked bacon when serving.