Apple Spice Snacking Cake
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp coarse raw sugar
- 2 tbsp slivered almonds
- 2 tbsp chopped pecans
- 1 cup chunky applesauce (or pie filling if desired, reduce sugar to 1/2 cup if using)
- 2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tbsp melted butter or coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line an 8" pan with parchment.
- In a small bowl combine cinnamon, sugar, almonds and pecans. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat together the applesauce, almond milk, butter, egg and vanilla until well combined.
- Add the flours, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg and salt.
- Stir until just combined (like when making muffins).
- Spread in the pan and sprinkle with the topping, pressing it lightly onto the batter.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 20 minutes before cutting.