- 4 pounds mussels
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, shaved
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 cup chicken broth, low-sodium
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 tomato, peeled, seeded and cut in large dice
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (LOL,sometimes more!! Makes a rich broth)
How to make it
- Rinse the mussels under cold running water while scrubbing with a vegetable brush.
- Discard any with broken shells.
- Heat oil in a 6 to 8-quart stockpot.
- Saute the shallot, garlic and thyme to create a base flavor.
- Add the mussels and give them a good toss.
- Add wine, lemon juice, chicken broth and red pepper flakes; cover the pot and steam over medium-high for 5 minutes until the mussels open.
- Toss in the tomato, parsley and butter, recover the pot, and steam for another minute to soften.
- The tomatoes should keep their shape. Serve with plenty of grilled garlic bread to sop up the broth