Wonderful English Muffins
- Time 24-30 minutes
- Serves 1216
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 tbs sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 packages(1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water(110* to 115*)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tbs sesame seeds
- 1 tbs poppy seeds
How to make it
- Scald milk in saucepan;add butter, sugar and salt.
- Stir until butter melts; cool to lukewarm.
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water;add to milk mixture.
- Stir in all purpose flour and 1 cup whole wheat flour until smooth.
- Add sesame seeds,poppy seeds and enough remaining whole wheat flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down.
- Roll to 1/2 in. thickness on a cornmeal covered surface.
- Cut into circles with a 3-1/2 in. or 4 in. cutter;cover with a towel and let rise until nearly doubled , about 30 minutes.
- Place muffins, cornmeal side down, in a grease skillet; cook over medium-low heat for 12-14 minutes or until bottoms are browned.
- Turn and cook about 12-14 minutes or until browned. Cool on wire racks; split and toast to serve.