New England Clam Chowder
- Time 30 minutes
- Serves 12
- 1/2 lb onion, diced
- 1/2 lb celery, diced
- 12 oz red potatoes, large diced
- 2 cans chopped clams and juice
- 32 oz half & half
- 32 oz clam juice
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp basil
- To Taste - white pepper
- 4 drops Tabasco
- 1 oz bacon grease (or oil)
- 1/2 lb roux
- 1/4 lb butter
- 1/4 lb flour
How to make it
- Melt butter, blend in flour to make roux.
- In a 2 gallon stockpot, cook onion and celery in bacon grease until translucent.
- Pour in chopped clams in juice, clam juice, diced potato and seasoning; blend well.
- Bring to simmer over medium heat, for 5 - 10 minutes.
- Add half & half, increase heat until it comes to a slow boil.
- Add roux slowly, mixing well. Keep mixing until well incorporated.
- Reduce heat - simmer for 15 minutes.