Old Fashioned Macaroni And Cheese
- 1/2 pound macaroni, cooked
- 1/2 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese or similar to cheese sauce choice
- 1/2 cup freshly made buttered bread crumbs (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk, heated
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese(s)
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. and butter 1-1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Warm milk, either in microwave for approximately 2-1/2 minutes or over low heat on stovetop until tiny bubbles begin to form on sides.
- Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the paste cooks and bubbles a bit, but don't let it brown — about 2 minutes.
- Add the hot milk, continuing to stir as the sauce thickens. Bring it to a boil.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, stir in cheese, lower the heat, and cook, stirring for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Remove from heat.
- Put the cooked macaroni into the casserole, pour the cheese sauce over it, and mix gently with a fork.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese evenly over the top and spread the crumbs over the cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, until the top is golden and the sauce is bubbling, about 30 minutes.