Vanilla Lemon Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- fresh lemon zest from 1/2 a lemon
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add 1-1/2 cups sugar, lemon zest, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.
- Beat until well blended, scraping side of bowl occasionally.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Beat in as much flour as possible with the mixer.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in any flour that you can't beat in with the mixer.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls.
- Roll in granulated sugar.
- Place the cookie balls about 2-inches apart onto ungreased baking sheet(s).
- Bake 8 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from baking sheet(s) and place onto wire racks to cool completely.
- This recipe makes about 5 dozen cookies.