- 2 1/3 c flour
- 1/2 c shortening
- 1/3 c sugar
- 1 c fancy molasses
- 3/4 c hot water
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 c brown sugar, packed
How to make it
- For ginerbread, heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9x9 inch square baking pan.
- Beat all gingerbread ingredients in a large bowl with an electric mixer on low for about 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium and beat for 3 minutes more, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Pour into pan and bake for about 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, beat egg whites with cream of tartar on high speed until foamy.
- Beat in brown sugar, a tablespoon at a time until stiff peaks form.
- Turn oven up to 400 degrees.
- Spread meringue over hot gingerbread decoratively then bake about 10 minutes or until meringue is golden brown.
- Serve warm from the oven.