- Time 75 minutes
- Serves 16
- 24 sheets phyllo pastry
- 1 1/2 cup clarified butter (ghee)
- 3 cardamom pods (crushed seeds only, discard husks)
- 4 tbsp honey
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 300 g shelled pistachios
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
How to make it
- Boil honey, sugar , cardamom and water until syrupy. Add lemon juice, stir to heat through and combine well. Leave syrup aside to cool.
- In food processor, grind pistachios with sugar until coarse.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt butter/ghee. Layer 12 sheets of phyllo pastry in large baking dish, brushing each sheet with melted butter/ghee thoroughly.
- Spread pistachio mixture evenly over the phyllo.
- Layer the remaining 12 sheets of phyllo pastry over the pistachios, brushing each sheet thoroughly with melted butter/ghee.
- With sharp pointy knife, slice into serving sized pieces, making sure to cut all the way through. It's very important to do this before baking the baklava - it will be impossible to cut it afterwards.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 325 degrees F.
- Pour any remaining butter/ghee over the top layer of phyllo. Return to oven, turn down temperature to 350 degrees F. Bake for 1 hour.
- Pour cold syrup over the baklava. Sprinkle with sugar or decorative pistachios. Leave in oven with heat turned off, with door closed for at least 30 minutes.
- Best served the next day.