44 Clove Comfort Me Soup
- 26 garlic cloves (unpeeled)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
- 2 1/4 cups sliced onions
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 18 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 1/2 cups chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (about 2 ounces)
- 4 lemon wedges
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place 26 garlic cloves in small glass baking dish.
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper; toss to coat.
- Cover baking dish tightly with foil and bake until garlic is golden brown and tender, about 45 minutes.
- Squeeze garlic between fingertips to release cloves.
- Transfer cloves to small bowl.
- Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and thyme and cook until onions are translucent, about 6 minutes.
- Add roasted garlic and 18 raw garlic cloves and cook 3 minutes.
- Add chicken stock; cover and simmer until garlic is very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Working in batches, purée soup in blender until smooth.
- Return soup to saucepan; add cream and bring to simmer.
- Season with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium heat, stirring occasionally.)
- Divide grated cheese among 4 bowls and ladle soup over. Squeeze juice of 1 lemon wedge into each bowl and serve.