Split Pea Soup
- 1 ham bone(preferably with enough meat to make 1-2c.)
- 1(16oz.)pkg split peas
- 2 carrots,thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion,chopped
- 7c. water
- 1/4t whole allspice
- 1/4t peppercorns
- 1 bayleaf
How to make it
- In 5qt. dutch oven over med. heat,heat bone,split peas,carrots,onions and water to boiling.
- Tie allspice,peppercorns and bayleaf in cheesecloth,add to bone mixture
- Reduce heat to low:cover:simmer 1 hour.. Discard spice bag:add salt if necessary.
- Remove bone to cutting board. Cut off meat and discard bone
- Cut meat into bite-size chunks and return to soup for serving