Swanky Split Pea Soup
- Time 6-00 minutes
- Serves 8
- 4 cups of green split peas, washed and drained. Par boil two minutes.
- 8 cups of water
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 1 lb. of Canadian bacon cut in bite size pieces
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- a bouquet garni (6 sprigs fresh parsley, 2 bay leaves, a dozen pepper corns, 1 tsp of celery seed tied up in cheesecloth bag)
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- salt-careful here, taste after cooking and adjust according to the salt released from the ham hock
- 2 tsp of olive oil
- 6-8 slices of proscuitto, slivered
- Pumpernickel croutons, baked in the oven with garlic butter and parmesan
How to make it
- Blanch the split peas for two minutes in boiling water. Drain
- Put the peas, ham hock, onion, carrots, and bouquet garni with the water in the slow cooker.
- Heat a medium skillet and slightly saute the Canadian bacon to release some of the fat and crisp the meat ever so slightly, sprinkle with cayenne pepper. Don't breathe deep here Add to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook 10 hours on low.
- Taste and adjust for salt. Pick off meat from the ham hock and leave in the soup. Remove bone of course.
- In skillet, heat olive oil and quickly sizzle the proscuitto until crispy.
- Make croutons with big pumpernickel chunks, drizzled with a garlic oil/butter mix and lots of parmesan cheese.
- Ladle soup in shallow bowls and top with frizzled proscuitto and croutons.