Wild Rice With Sausage Stuffing
- 3 cups wild rice OR wild and white rice mixed
- 8oz mild sausage
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1" pieces
- 1-1/2 cups minced onion
- 8oz chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup minced celery
- 1 tsp crushed leaf oregano
- 1/2 tsp crushed sage leaves
- 1-2 cups plain breadcrumbs
- salt & pepper
- chicken broth
How to make it
- Heat oven to 350.
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, crumble and cook sausage; drain and set aside.
- Drain pan; fry bacon until just done and some grease has come out.
- Add onion and celery; after 5 minutes, add mushrooms. Saute until vegetables are tender.
- Add vegetables to rice, along with spices and sausage. Add 1 cup of breadcrumbs if using mixed rice, and 2 cups if using just wild rice.
- Pour rice mixture into oiled 3qt. casserole. If mixture is dry, drizzle with up to 1/2 cup broth (more moisture will be needed for mixed rice).
- Bake, covered, 30-40 minutes.
- When done, mixed rice may need a little more broth.
- Mmm-mmm, that's good!