Ham And Corn Souffle
- 2 teaspoons dry bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2/3 cup diced fully cooked lean ham
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup fat free milk
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
How to make it
- Coat a 1 1/2 qt. baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; sprinkle with bread crumbs and set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet thats been sprayed saute corn and onions for 5 minutes or until tender; remove from heat.
- Stir in ham; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the flour, salt and cayenne; gradually whisk milk until smooth; bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored, about 5 minutes.
- Gradually add to cheese sauce, stirring constantly.
- Stir in corn mixture; set aside.
- In another bowl beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy.
- Add cream of tartar; beat on high until stiff peaks form.
- Fold into corn mixture; pour into prepared baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered at 325 degrees for 50 to 55 minutes or until puffed and golden.