Stuffed Bread Italian Appetizer
- Time 25 minutes
- Serves 16
- 1 tablespoon Butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh garlic
- 1 (1-pound) loaf frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced deli Genoa salami
- 6 (1-ounce) slices Provolone Cheese, cut into strips
- 1/4 cup sliced stuffed green olives
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon water
- Poppy seed, if desired
How to make it
- Stir together butter and garlic in small bowl.
- Roll out bread dough on lightly floured surface to 12-inch square. Place on lightly greased baking sheet; brush with butter mixture.
- Layer salami, cheese, olives and onions in 3-inch strip down center of dough to within 1/2-inch of top and bottom, leaving 4 1/2 inches of dough on each side of filling.
- Cut twelve 3-inch long strips, 1-inch apart, along both sides of filling. Fold strips across filling at an angle, alternating sides to give a braided effect.
- Pinch dough at bottom and top to seal.
- Cover; let rise in warm place until almost double in size (30 to 45 minutes).
- Combine egg and water in small bowl; brush over braid.
- Sprinkle with poppy seed, if desired.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheet; cool 10 minutes.
- Cut into slices.