- Time 12 minutes
- Serves 24
- 1 package dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 5 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups low fat butter milk ( I use skim milk with 1 tsp lemon in it)
- cooking spray
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
How to make it
- Dissolve yeast in warm water, let stand 5 minutes.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, level with a knife. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal
- Add yeast mixture and buttermilk to flour mixture; stir just until moist.
- Cover and chill 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Turn the dough out onto a heavily floured surface; knead lightly 5 times.
- Toll dough out and cut into biscuit shapes.
- Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Brush melted butter over the tops
- Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.