Soul Soothing Split Pea And Ham Soup
- Time 180 minutes
- Serves 8
- Ham hock with lots of meat
- 8 cups chicken broth (I prefer organic)
- 2 pounds split peas
- 3 Large carrots-- Cubed
- 1 Large Onion
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- Pepper (to taste)
- 2 Tablespoons Virgin Olive Oil
How to make it
- Cut all excess meat off of bone and set a side.
- Dice onion and carrot (seprately). Set aside
- Mince garlic
- In a large stock pot heat olive oil throw in garlic let sautee for a minute. Add the onion and let sautee until onion is transluccent.
- Add ham bone and chicken broth to the pot and bring to boil
- When ingredients are boiling add split peas carrots and remaining ham.
- Let sit on medium high heat for about an hour.
- Turn down to medium low and let sit for about another hour.
- If soup is too thick add more chicken broth until desired consistency. ( I prefer a very thick and hearty stew!)
- Enjoy with sliced roasted garlic bread!!!