Macaroni PIe Memas Favorite
- 1 ten ounce package of elbow macaroni
- 1 quart of water
- 1 pound of medium sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 eggs beaten
- 2 cups of milk
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of black pepper
- 1 tsp of dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper
- 6-8 grates of fresh nutmeg on microplane
How to make it
- preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Bring one quart of cold water to a boil and cook the macaroni to the al dente stage, you want them firm because you are baking it longer, stir it occasionally to keep from sticking.
- DO NOT DRAIN.
- You will need the residual water in the pan, most of it will be absorbed at this point anyway.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Place mixture in a buttered casserole and bake in the very hot oven for 35 to 40 minutes until the top is lightly browned.
- Allow to rest at least 10 minutes before attempting to eat, it will be very very hot.