Beef And Barley Soup
- Time 180 minutes
- Serves 8
- 5 slices Bacon
- 1 lb. chuck roast, cut into 1" cubes.
- 2 large onions chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 cans beef broth (10 1/2 oz.)
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup barley
- 1/4 tsp. caraway seeds
- 1/8 tsp. margoram leaves
- 3 med. potatoes diced
- 2 med. carrots sliced
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 1 can (16 oz.) stewed tomatoes
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen peas
- 1 can (4 oz.) mushrooms
- 1/2 small head of cabbage, chopped
How to make it
- Fry bacon in dutch oven over med. heat until crisp, remove bacon and drain on paper towel and set aside.
- Cook and stir beef pieces, onion and garlic in bacon fat until beef is brown.
- Stir in broth, water, barley, paprika, salt, caraway seed and margoram.
- Heat to boiling, reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir in potaoes, carrots, celery, tomatoes, peas, mushrooms and cabbage.
- Return to boiling, reduce again to simmer. Cover til vegetables are tender, 30-40 minutes. Crumble bacon and sprinkle over the soup.