Crock Pot Pinto Beans
- Time 240 minutes
- Serves 3
- 1 to 1-1/2 lbs. pinto beans
- Note: If using dried beans, rinse and soak for approximately 3 hours or some people prefer to soak them overnight. Do not use the water they have been soaked in.
- 3 cubes vegetable bullion (I use low sodium)
- 6 cups water
- Note: You can omit the 3 cubes of vegetable bullion step and use 3 cups low sodium vegetable stock/broth and 3 cups filtered water. I make my own vegetable broth.
- 2 Tbsps. cumin
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 celery ribs, finely sliced
- 1-1/2 Tbsps. parsley flakes
- 1/2 Tsp. Celtic Sea Salt (optional it you can't find it)
- *This recipe is so flexible. You can add a large can of diced tomatoes with a can of rinsed kidney beans and voila... a different take on a great recipe.
How to make it
- Combine all ingredients in a crock pot and cook on high for 4 hours. The house will smell amazingly delicious!
- Soy cream
- Shredded veggie cheddar cheese
- Chopped flat leafed parsley or cilantro
- Chopped mild green chilies or green peppers
- Diced tomatoes
- Chopped spring onions
- Psst... Sour Cream is really good on top ;-)
- Double Psst... If you really want to be naughty and turn this recipe from vegetarian to meat eaters - it's great with a ham hock added. Okay, I just blew the whole good for you thing, sheesh...