Hot Pickled Okra
- 2 pounds fresh okra
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2-4 fresh Cayenne peppers
- 1 quart white vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 8 Tbsp pickling salt
- 1 tsp celery seed
How to make it
- Wash okra and place on paper towels to dry.
- Sterilize five or six pint sized canning jars with lids and rings. (Follow jar manufacturer’s directions for sterilizing.)
- Place washed, dried okra, sliced garlic, and fresh pepper in jars until jars are full. (It helps to alternate okra, one stem up and one stem down.)
- Place vinegar, water pickling salt and celery seed in a large sauce pan and bring to a rapid boil.
- Boil mixture 3-4 minutes and immediately (while still boiling) pour over okra, garlic and peppers.
- Make sure contents of each jar are completely submersed in the hot liquid.
- Tightly seal each jar. Allow to cool, then wash/rinse the outside of each jar and dry.
- Let stand 3 weeks before serving. Pickled okra can be stored on pantry shelf.
- Refrigerate before serving.