Chicken And Stuffing Casserole With Mushroom Sauce
- Time 45 minutes
- Serves 12
- 8 oz. package of herb-seasoned stuffing (3-1/2 Cups)
- 3 Cups cooked or canned chicken
- 1/2 Cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 Cup enriched flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- dash of pepper
- 4 Cups chicken broth
- 6 eggs, slightly beaten
- FOR SAUCE:
- 1 can cream of mushroom condensed soup
- 1/4 Cup milk
- 1 Cup dairy sour cream
- 1/4 Cup chopped pimiento
How to make it
- Prepare dry stuffing according to package directions. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Spread stuffing in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Spread the chicken out in a layer over the stuffing.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter, blend in flour and seasonings. Add cool broth, cook and stir until mixture thickens.
- Whisk a small amount of this mixture into the slightly beaten eggs. Return that into the large saucepan mixture while whisking.
- Pour over chicken. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted halfway to center comes out clean. Let stand five minutes to set before cutting into squares. Serve with sauce on the side.
- TO MAKE SAUCE: Mix sauce ingredients and stir over heat until hot.