Pig In A Blanket
- Time 15 minutes
- Serves 24
- 6 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbs plus 1 tsp baking poder
- 1 tbs kosher salt
- 4 tbs butter, cold: cut into small pieces
- 1 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 3lb pkg lil smokies or 4 pkgs hot dogs
- optional: 1 cup fav shredded cheese
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well.
- Add cold butter and shortening. Optional: Add cheese
- Work into dry ingredients with hands, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in milk slowly. Dough will be slightly sticky.
- Dust work area with flour and turn dough onto surface.
- Fold each side towards the middle
- Pick up dough, reflour surface and fold again.
- Cut dough in half.
- Take one half of dough and roll out till approx 1/4" thick.
- Slice into strips (see bottom) and roll around dogs.
- Place on cookie sheet and bake for 15 mins or until golden brown.
- Any remaining dough can be made into biscuits, just press out to 1" thickness. Cut dough with cutter or glass. Place on cookie sheet and bake 15 mins. Brush tops with butter after cooked.
- For smokies: cut strips about 1 1/2" x 1 1/2"
- For hot dogs: cut strips about 2 1/2" x 5"