Texas Cowboy Pinto Beans
- Time 120 minutes
- Serves 8
- 1 pound dried pinto beans
- 8 cups water
- 1/4 pound salt pork (as lean as you can find)
- 1 14-ounce can whole tomatoes, with juice
- 4 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
How to make it
- Wash and pick over beans.
- Make several cuts into the salt pork down to but not through the rind.
- Combine all ingredients except salt in a heavy saucepan.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low simmer.
- Cook very slowly covered.
- Stir beans up from the bottom occasionally and add water if they start looking dry.
- Cook for at least 2 hours.
- When beans are soft but still hold their shape they are done.