Rustic Cornbread - Reg Or Vegan
- ½ cup stone ground cornmeal
- ½ cup polenta or corn grits (very coarse grind - this is what gives you the rustic texture)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp Ener-G egg replacer whisked with 2 TBSP water or soy milk ( or 1 egg)
- 2/3 cup milk (soy, rice or regular cow juice) (may need a little more depending on humidity)
- 3 TBSP canola oil
How to make it
- Heat oven to 450 F.
- Spray an 8 in round glass or clay or cast iron pan (or equiv) with oil and put in the oven to heat up for about 5 min.
- Mix dry ingredient in a large bowl
- Mix egg replacer and water in a separate bowl and than add it and the soy milk to the dry ingredients
- Stir well (I recommend a whisk).
- Quickly add oil and stir to combine. Mixture will be bubbly and thicken quickly.
- Pour into hot pan and return to oven.
- Bake 15 to 20 min (watch carefully) – until just starting to brown
- Remove from oven before it starts to brown as it will continue to cook in the pan.
- Set the pan on a trivet or rack to air can circulate around the pan.
- Cool a few minutes, slice and enjoy with soups, stews and chili's.