Basic Tomato Sauce
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 finely chopped small onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 finely chopped stalk of celery
- 1 finely chopped carrot
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 28-oz cans crushed tomatoes with juice
- 2 dried bay leaves
How to make it
- Heat oil over medium high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté until soft and translucent, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add celery, carrots and season with salt and pepper.
- Sauté until all the vegetables are soft, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and bay leaves and simmer uncovered on very low heat for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until thick.
- Remove bay leaves and adjust the seasoning.
- Process until smooth, half of the tomato sauce in a food processor. Continue with remaining tomato sauce.
- Use the sauce as needed.
- Note: If not using all the sauce, allow it to cool completely and pour into freezer plastic bags. This will freeze up to 6 months.