Stuffed Cabbage Rolls With Sauce
- 12 cabbage leaves
- 1 pound ground beef (I use ground chuck)
- 1/2 cup instant rice, uncooked
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces (DO NOT drain)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- dash of salt
- dash of pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water (approximately)
How to make it
- Cover cabbage leaves with boiling water and let stand about 10 minutes or until leaves are limp. Remove leaves and drain off excess water.
- Mix ground beef, rice, onions, mushrooms with liquid, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce.
- Place about 1/3 cup of hamburger mixture at the stem of each cabbage leaf. Roll leaf around mixture, tucking in sides.
- Place cabbage rolls seam sides down in an ungreased square baking dish.
- Mix remaining tomato sauce, lemon juice, and sugar; pour over cabbage rolls. Cover and cook in oven at 350 degrees for approx 45 minutes or until ground beef is done.
- Mix cornstarch and 1 tablespoon of water in saucepan. Drain liquid from cabbage roll pan and add to cornstarch mixture. Boil approx 1 minute, stirring constantly. Serve this sauce with cabbage rolls.
- Garnish with parsley or shredded cheese if desired.