Slow Cooked Balsamic Beef
- Time 120 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- • 1 stick of celery, trimmed and diced
- • 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- • 200g button mushrooms, washed and sliced
- • light olive oil or vegetable oil
- • 500g stewing beef (chuck steak), diced into 1-inch pieces
- • salt and freshly ground black pepper
- • 1 tablespoon plain flour
- • 1 teaspoon tomato puree
- • half a clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
- • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- • 400ml water
- • 1 x 400g tin of plum tomatoes
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6.
- In a large ovenproof pan, on a medium heat, fry the onion, celery, carrot and mushrooms in a little olive oil for 10 minutes.
- Add the beef to the pan, season with a little salt and pepper and fry for a further 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the flour and stir together
- add the tomato puree and the crushed garlic and stir again.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, water and tinned tomatoes and stir until everything is combined.
- Cover with a tight fitting lid or a couple of layers of foil and place in the oven for 1½ to 2 hours (or until the meat is tender).