- 8 ounces bulk mild Italian sausage
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 6 6- to 8-inch vegetable-flavored or plain flour tortillas
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack and/or queso fresco (Mexican farmer cheese) (4 oz.)
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro or parsley
How to make it
- For filling, in a medium skillet cook chorizo or sausage, onion, and garlic until meat is brown and onion is tender.
- Drain off fat.
- Pat chorizo mixture with paper towels to remove as much additional fat as possible.
- Stir in jalapeno pepper; set aside.
- Brush one side of 3 tortillas with half of the cooking oil.
- Place tortillas, oiled sides down, on a large baking sheet.
- Spread the chorizo filling over tortillas on baking sheet.
- Combine cheese and cilantro or parsley; sprinkle over filling.
- Top with the remaining tortillas.
- Brush with the remaining oil.
- Place quesadillas on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium heat.
- Grill for 3 to 4 minutes or until filling is heated through and tortillas are starting to brown, turning once halfway through grilling.
- To serve, cut quesadillas into wedges