- Time 180 minutes
- Serves 10
- 56 ounces of Italian crushed tomatoes
- 24 ounces of tomato paste
- fill the crushed tomato cans with water
- 1/4 ( more if need) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large cloves of garlic, or three medium ones
- 1/2 tsp dried red pepper
- 2 Tbsp kosher salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 bunch basil leaves, about 1 cup off their stems, halved
- 2 ounces grated romano cheese
How to make it
- In a stockpot simmer the garlic and the dried pepper in the olive oil. Add a bit if needed to keep them moist and not brown, simmer for about 4 minutes.
- Pour in the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, salt, pepper, sugar, and the basil.
- Heat to a boil and then turn down to slow simmer
- Sprinkle the cheese in and stir well so it melts as you stir instead of just sinking to the bottom and sticking to the pot.
- Stir this often.
- This will cook down and reduce.
- This freezes well, if it lasts that long.