- Time 20 minutes
- Serves 10
- 1 package yeast
- 2 Tablespoons warm water
- 5 Cups plain all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Cup shortening (Crisco solid)
- 2 Cups buttermilk
How to make it
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Sift flour with dry ingredients.
- Cut in shortening.
- Add buttermilk and yeast mixture.
- Stir, then knead a few minutes.
- Roll out to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Cut with biscuit cutter and brush with butter.
- Bake at 400 degrees F. for 12 - 15 minutes.
- Double the recipe! These freeze well after baking.