Texan Blackeyed Peas
- 1 ham hock (about 1/2 pound)
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 cup dried black-eyed peas (soak overnight in refrigerator)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
How to make it
- Place meat in saucepan with water then add onion and cover.
- Cook over low heat for 1 hour.
- Drain peas and discard any discolored ones.
- Add peas to meat and add more water if necessary.
- Continue cooking for 1 hour or until peas are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper then cut ham hock into small pieces and add back to peas.