French Onion Soup
- 1 each yellow, white and red onion, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. garlic, crushed
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 Tbsp. sherry
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 spring thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toasted baguettes slices
- 1-1/2 cup Swiss cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup Parmesan , shredded, divided
How to make it
- Sweat onions and garlic in oil in large pot over medium heat, covered for 10 minutes. Uncover, increase heat to medium high and cook until onion is caramelized, stirring for 20 minutes
- Deglaze with wine and sherry.
- Increase heat to high ans simmer to evaporate liquids, stirring often. Stir in flour and cook 1 minute longer.
- Add broths and rhyme, simmer 10 minutes, season with salt and pepper nd remove the thyme sprig.
- Preheat the broiler to high.
- Divide the soup among 4 oven safe bowls, top each with baguette slices and some cheeses.
- Place bowls on a baking sheet lined with nonstick foil and broil until golden, 3 to 4 minutes.