- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 2 cups button mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 2 T. garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can chopped Italian-style stewed tomatoes (14 1/2 oz)
- 1 cup mafalda (mini lasagna) pasta or campenelle or bow ties
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella cheese, diced
- Parmesan cheese and sprigs of fresh basil
How to make it
- Brown sausage in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and carrot; saute 3 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms and garlic, and saute another 3 minutes.
- Add broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil.
- Stir in the pasta and simmer until cooked, about 10 minutes (or according to package directions).
- Add the spinach and cook about 1 minute, or until wilted.
- To serve, place cubes of mozzarella in each serving bowl, then ladle soup over and let sit briefly to melt the cheese.
- Garnish with grated Parmesan and a sprig of basil.