- Time 60 minutes
- Serves 46
- 1 lb. beef sirloin or tenderloin, cut into 1/4" x 1" pieces
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste (I use 1 tbsp. ketchup)
- 1 10 oz. can beef broth
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp. sherry
How to make it
- Brown meat quickly in a hot skillet and remove to casserole dish.
- Reduce skillet heat and add mushrooms, onions and garlic (add more butter if necessary).
- Cook 3 to 4 minutes until onion is clear.
- Remove and add to the casserole dish.
- Now make the sauce in the skillet by melting the butter, adding the flour, salt and tomato paste.
- Stir in beef bouillon and sherry and cook until thick.
- Add to casserole dish and mix all together.
- Bake at 350 for one hour, checking to ensure sauce doesn't become too thick or dry. If it does, add extra beef broth.
- When ready to serve, add the sour cream and heat in 275 oven for 30 minutes to warm through. Don't boil once the sour cream has been added or it will curdle.
- Serve over buttered broad noodles. Sprinkle with caraway seeds if desired.