Croque Madame Fried Egg Ham And Cheese Sandwich
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 11/2 c milk
- A pinch each of salt, freshly ground pepper, and nutmeg
- 11/2 c Gruyère cheese, grated
- 1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 slices of French bread
- 12 ounces ham, sliced
- Dijon mustard
- 4 eggs (chicken or quail)
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan on medium heat until it just starts to bubble.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring until smooth and golden in colour. Slowly whisk in milk and cook until thick. Remove from heat.
- Add the salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Stir in the Parmesan and 1/4 cup of the grated Gruyère. Set aside.
- Lay out the bread slices on a baking sheet and toast them in the oven.
- Spread some butter on the bread slices before you toast them if you want.
- Lightly brush half of the toasted slices with mustard. Add the ham slices and about 1 cup of the remaining Gruyère cheese. Top with the other toasted bread slices.
- Spoon on the béchamel sauce to the tops of the sandwiches. Sprinkle with the remaining Gruyère cheese.
- Place on a broiling pan. Bake in the oven for 4 minutes, then turn on the broiler and broil for an additional 3 minutes, until the cheese topping is bubbly and lightly browned. Set aside.
- Heat oil in pan and fried eggs, sunny side up.
- Top a fried egg on each sandwich and serve.